The Information We Collect
When you visit ShareMyTrail you provide us with three types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected directly by us, Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site, and information collected from you by other web sites and made available to us.
When you register with ShareMyTrail, you provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, email address, telephone number, address, trip reports, trail routes, and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us. We collect and retain this information so that we can provide you the service and offer personalized features. When you update information, we may keep backup copies of the prior version for a reasonable period of time to enable reversion to the prior version of that information.
When you enter ShareMyTrail, we collect your browser type and IP address. This information is gathered for all ShareMyTrail visitors. In addition, we store certain information in your browser using "cookies." A cookie is a piece of data stored on your computer that allows the website to remember who you are as you navigate the website. We use session ID cookies to confirm that users are logged in. We may use a persistent cookie that stores your login ID (but not your password) to make it easier for you to login when you come back to ShareMyTrail. You can remove or block these cookies using the settings in your browser if you want to disable this convenience feature.
ShareMyTrail may also collect information about you from other sources, such as an OpenID account management partner that you choose.
You may choose to make your trip report and route information publically available. We are not responsible for the use anyone outside of ShareMyTrail makes of this information.
By using ShareMyTrail, you are consenting to have your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
Children Under Age 13
ShareMyTrail does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for ShareMyTrail or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on ShareMyTrail. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
Use of Information Obtained by ShareMyTrail
When you register with ShareMyTrail, you create your own profile and privacy settings.
Profile information is used by ShareMyTrail primarily to be presented back to and edited by you when you access the service, and to be presented to others permitted to view that information by your privacy settings.
ShareMyTrail reserves the right to send you notices about your account even if you opt out of all voluntary email notifications.
ShareMyTrail may use information in your profile without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We do this for purposes such as personalizing advertisements and promotions so that we can provide you ShareMyTrail. We believe this benefits you.
Sharing Your Information with Third Parties
ShareMyTrail is about sharing your trails with others. We allow you to choose the information you provide to the public and to other registered users ShareMyTrail. We do not provide contact information to third party marketers without your permission. We share your information with third parties only in limited circumstances where we believe such sharing is 1) reasonably necessary to offer the service, 2) legally required or, 3) permitted by you. For example:
- Unlike most sites on the Web, ShareMyTrail limits access to site information by third party search engine "crawlers" (e.g. Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask). ShareMyTrail takes action to block access by these engines to personal information beyond your published trails.
- We may provide information to service providers to help us bring you the services we offer. Specifically, we may use third parties to facilitate our business, such as to host the service at a co-location facility for servers, to send out email updates about ShareMyTrail, to remove repetitive information from our user lists, to process payments for products or services, to present ads to you, or to provide search results or links (including sponsored links). In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your personal information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. Where we utilize third parties for the processing of any personal information, we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections limiting the use of that information to the ShareMyTrail-specified purposes.
- We may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. We do not reveal information until we have a good faith belief that an information request by law enforcement or private litigants meets applicable legal standards. Additionally, we may share account or other information when we believe it is necessary to comply with law, to protect our interests or property, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the ShareMyTrail service or using the ShareMyTrail name, or to prevent imminent bodily harm. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
- We may let you choose to share information with marketers or electronic commerce providers through on-site offers.
- We may offer stores or provide services jointly with other companies on ShareMyTrail. You can tell when another company is involved in any store or service provided on ShareMyTrail, and we may share customer information with that company in connection with your use of that store or service.
- Like many other websites that interact with third party sites, we may receive some information even if you are logged out from ShareMyTrail, or that pertains to non-ShareMyTrail users, from those sites in conjunction with the technical operation of the system. In cases where ShareMyTrail receives information on users that are not logged in, or on non-ShareMyTrail users, we do not attempt to associate it with individual ShareMyTrail accounts and will discard it.
When you use ShareMyTrail, certain personal information you post or share with third parties may be shared with other users in accordance with the privacy settings you select. All such sharing of information is done at your own risk. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information in your profile, this information may become publicly available.
Third Party Advertising
Changing or Removing Information
Access and control over most personal information on ShareMyTrail is readily available through the profile editing tools. ShareMyTrail users may modify or delete any of their profile information at any time by logging into their account. Information will be updated immediately. Individuals who wish to deactivate their ShareMyTrail account may do so on their My Account page. Removed information may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time but will not be generally available to members of ShareMyTrail.
Where you make use of the communication features of the service to share information with other individuals on ShareMyTrail, however, (e.g., sending a personal message to another ShareMyTrail user) you generally cannot remove such communications.
ShareMyTrail takes appropriate precautions to protect our users' information. Your account information is located on a secured server behind a firewall. Because email and instant messaging are not recognized as secure communications, we request that you not send private information to us by email or instant messaging services.
Contacting the Web Site